Cumulus 2022 Audioscape Details Smart Speakers Findings
|RADIO ONLINE | Tuesday, September 20, 2022|
The recently released Cumulus Media 2022 Audioscape examines podcast consumer and smart speaker trends using data from Edison Research's "Share of Ear" Report from Q2 2022. This week's Cumulus Media | Westwood One Audio Active Group blog focuses on smart speakers finding ownership rates are in the mid-40 percentile for 13-54s but only 27% for those over the age of 55. Only one in four Americans over the age of 55 own a smart speaker, perhaps due to limited perceived benefits.
Here are more key findings on smart speakers:
- Smart speaker ownership has stalled, with the last growth spurt occurring during Christmas, 2020 after smart speaker ownership soared from 7% to 33% from 2017 to 2019. The pandemic froze purchases until Christmas, 2021 when ownership jumped to 40% in Q1 2021. Since then, ownership has stalled with no post-Christmas "pop" in 2021.
- As smart speaker ownership flattens, the share of AM/FM radio streaming on smart speakers also stabilizes: According to Triton Digital, since 2021, AM/FM radio streaming via smart speaker has stabilized, growing slightly from 25% to 27%.
- Smart speakers are vital to U.S. AM/FM radio as they are now more likely to be the only "radio device" in the home: Edison's recent Infinite Dial study revealed that 40% of smart speaker owners do not have a radio in their home, up from 28% in 2018.
- With an 80% penetration of smart speaker homes, Amazon Alexa is the dominant smart speaker device.
- Given Alexa's dominant device footprint, it is no surprise that Amazon Music is the most listened to platform on smart speakers. According to Edison's "Share of Ear" Q2 2022, 20% of all tuning minutes on smart speakers goes to Amazon Music.
- Aggressive promotion pays off as AM/FM radio is number one for smart speaker ad-supported audio shares.
- As with podcast listening, smart speaker ownership over-indexes in top markets and under-indexes in smaller markets. In the top 10 DMAs, smart speaker ownership is 17% more likely than average. In markets 51 and smaller, ownership is 20% less likely.
Latest Radio Stories
Radio Milwaukee Reveals New Branding Ahead of 15th Birthday|
Jane Clauss On-Air Contributor for WLS-AM's Cochran Show|
FOX Sports Radio Kicks Off 2022 Weekend Football Lineup|
Cumulus Media Introduces All-New ''Hello Ross'' Podcast|
Benztown Releases Audio Tribute to Rapper Coolio|
Jim Diamond to Host Afternoons on KXLY-FM in Spokane|