Cumulus Releases Analysis of Edison's Q3 ''Share Of Ear''
|RADIO ONLINE | Monday, November 21, 2022|
Edison Research's quarterly "Share of Ear" study is the authoritative examination of time spent with audio in America. Edison Research surveys 4,000 Americans to measure daily reach and time spent for all forms of audio. This week's Cumulus Media | Westwood One Audio Active Group blog outlines the key findings from the latest Q3 2022 release, including AM/FM radio is the "queen of the road" with an 89% share of ad-supported audio in the car.
- Perception vs. reality: Agencies and advertisers underestimate AM/FM radio shares and overestimate Pandora and Spotify audiences. A study of 300 media agencies and marketers conducted in August 2022 by Advertiser Perceptions, the gold standard measurement firm of advertiser sentiment, found the perceived combined share of Pandora/Spotify is 44%, much greater than the perceived share of AM/FM radio (28%).
- According to the Q3 2022 "Share of Ear," AM/FM radio's persons 18+ share of ad-supported audio (74%) is 15 times larger than Pandora (5%) and 19 times greater than Spotify (4%).
- AM/FM radio streaming hits a record high, representing 17% of persons 25-54 AM/FM radio listening.
- All AM/FM radio streaming growth is coming from men. Among men 25-54, AM/FM radio streaming represents an astonishing 23% of all AM/FM radio listening, up 3X 2016 (8%).
- Among women 25-54, AM/FM radio streaming has been flat since 2018.
- Spoken word represents a far greater share of AM/FM radio streaming time spent (41%) compared to over-the-air AM/FM radio (28%). Among men, nearly half of AM/FM radio streaming time spent goes to spoken word.
- 2022 versus 2017: AM/FM radio is dominant, AM/FM radio streaming doubles, podcasts are up 2.5X, Pandora is down, and Spotify up slightly.
- AM/FM radio's 25-54 streaming audiences are 20% larger than ad-supported Spotify and Pandora combined.
- Podcast audiences are on fire. Since the pandemic, daily podcast audiences have been on a tear. From 2016 to 2019, podcast weekly reach grew modestly and consistently by 6 points over four years (8.8% to 15%).
Latest Radio Stories
Podtrac Issues Top Podcasts, Publishers & Sales Networks|
WPXY/Rochester Taps Phil ''Moose'' Musumeci for Mornings|
FOX News Extends TuneIn Partnership with FOX Weather|
WLAV/Grand Rapids Taps Gregg Henson as Morning Co-Host|
Acast, Self Financial Partner to Launch Podcast Series|
JAM'N 94.5/Boston Ups DJ Pup Dawg to Program Director|