Nielsen Webinar Discusses October 2020 PPM Data
|RADIO ONLINE | Tuesday, October 27, 2020|
Nielsen held a client webinar Tuesday on October, 2020 PPM data. This is the first monthly PPM data release that will see the results of its headphone adjustment and outlier mitigation enhancements, announced last month. The October PPM survey covered September 10 through October 7, the post-Labor Day period when most U.S. schools are in session.
Here are highlights from the webinar as compiled by Westwood One's Insights team:
- Since April, 25-54 PPM average quarter-hour audiences are up +35%: From September to October, listening jumped +6%, from an 88 to a 93 index. Over the seven-month period, persons 25-54 listening has grown +35% from April to October (69 to 93 index).
- Drive times exhibit strong recovery in PPM markets and mornings grow +11%: The majority of October's listening recovery occurred in mornings (Monday-Friday 6AM-10AM) which soared +11% versus September. Afternoon drive (Monday-Friday 3-7pm) is up +6% over the prior month.
- Middays, nights, and weekends grow and approach pre-COVID audience levels: In the most recent October PPM survey, midday audiences were up to a 96 index, +4% growth over the prior month. Nights have been remarkably stable since July. October weekend audiences now surpass March levels at a 101 index.
- Nearly all PPM markets have recovered to 90+% of March audiences: 42 of 48 PPM markets have now retained 90%+ of March AQH listening levels. 15 markets meet or exceed March listening levels.
- Sports shares surge while most formats remain stable: With the return of sports, AQH shares to Sports radio jumped to a 3.8 share in September and a 4.5 in October. Powered by a strong news cycle, News Talk station shares grew from a 13.2 share in September to a 13.8 share in October.
- For network radio advertisers, current listening levels are now very similar the recently issued Nationwide Fall 2019/Spring 2020 report.
Latest Radio Stories
11th Annual Benztown 50 Announces Call for Applications|
NBC Sports, SiriusXM to Launch New 24/7 Channel|
Mediabase Announces the Retirement of Jeff Gelb|
Casey Daniels Joins Morning Show at WFGR/Grand Rapids|
Eagle Communications Closes on Legacy Nebraska Duo|
Cumulus/Nashville Builds Toy Field for Forgotten Angels|