Advertisement |
Sohn Withdraws Nomination to Become FCC Commissioner
RADIO ONLINE | Tuesday, March 7, 2023 |
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() |
![]() |
President Joe Biden's submission to the FCC, Gigi Sohn, has withdrawn her nomination for the open Democratic seat on the Commission. She endured a 16-month battle to be confirmed by the Senate and says the process has taken a "heavy toll." Previously, Sohn had two nomination hearings but no vote by the committee on whether to submit her to the full Senate for a confirmation vote. The move delays the White House's effort to secure the first Democratic FCC majority in six years.
In late January, 2022, Sohn pledged to recuse herself temporarily from two broadcast regulatory issues if confirmed by the Senate. Those issues included retransmission consent or television broadcast copyright for the first three years of her term. Sohn also said she would recuse herself for four years concerning the rules governing retranmission consent.
The National Association of Broadcasters had pushed for Sohn to recuse from certain broadcast issues, citing concerns about her tenure as a board member of Locast, that was ordered to shut down after illegally streaming programming.
This leaves the FCC with four members, two Democrats and two Republicans. The Commission has had four Commissioners since President Biden took office.
Advertisement |
Latest Radio Stories
2025 Local Radio Ad Revenue Projected to Reach $12.3B
|
Veteran Radio Executive Patrick Crocker Dead at 65
|
Woodward Communications Expands Springfield Footprint
|
Advertisement |
KROQ/Los Angeles Welcomes Kevin Ryder Back for Afternoons
|
Jacobs Media to Unveil Key Insights from Techsurvey 2025
|
NAB Urges FCC to Eliminate Natl. Broadcast Ownership Cap
|