Case Studies Show Radio Ad Campaigns Drive TV Viewership
|RADIO ONLINE | Monday, September 14, 2020|
Westwood One's Insights team looks at multiple Nielsen case studies on its blog this week showing AM/FM radio ad campaigns lift TV viewership. The studies compared those who had been exposed to AM/FM radio ads for TV tune-in with people who had not heard the ads. The difference in TV audiences between those exposed and not exposed is the "lift" generated by the AM/FM radio ads.
- To be effective, TV tune-in campaigns on AM/FM radio require a 45% weekly reach and at least 150+ GRPs. Buying a handful of GRPs on premiere day is "spray and pray" ineffectiveness.
- While on-network promos and paid TV buys reach heavy TV viewers, AM/FM radio TV tune-in campaigns reach medium and light TV viewers.
- AM/FM radio campaigns generate outsized incremental reach and audiences among younger demographics. As such, the younger the demo, the greater the lift in TV tune-in viewing.
- Case study: An eight-part documentary series used AM/FM radio to generate a +52% lift in viewing and an even greater increase of multi-episode tuning.
- Case study: The returning season of a scripted cable drama ran an AM/FM radio campaign that represented only 5% of the media plan but generated 20% of the total campaign impressions. 70% of the AM/FM radio impressions were from persons 18-54, while half of the paid TV and TV promo impressions were from persons 55+.
- Case study: A historical mini-series radio tune-in campaign generated a +44% increase in viewing. The vast majority of the viewers AM/FM radio delivered were new and light viewers of the network.
- Fifteen Nielsen case studies across four years revealed that among viewers who tuned into a program, persons who were exposed to an AM/FM radio ad were +33% more likely to tune in compared to viewers who were not exposed to AM/FM radio.
Latest Radio Stories
Pollstar & VenuesNow Release State of Industry Survey|
MJ Returns to Tampa Bay as Host of Q105 Morning Show|
Rock 98.9/Fresno Welcomes ''Valentine In The Morning''|
Christmas Cheer Comes to the Mahoning Valley Extra Early|
KKFR (Power 98.3)/Phoenix's Crisco Kidd to Run for Mayor|
Year-Long Cox/Tulsa-St. Jude Partnership Culminates with Walk|